Its transition time at Farmer’s Market and roadside stands. Mine still has an abundance of beautiful heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini and a colorful variety of peppers. But the apples, sweet potatoes, pumpkins and butternut squash are quickly muscling them out of the way. I’ve been wanting to make these savory zucchini fritters all summer long — it’s time to do it before the only zuch I can find is the rubbery supermarket variety!
Zucchini Squash Fritters
- 2 pounds zucchini squash
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoon minced fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, chives)
- 3/4 cups Panko
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil for frying
- Preheat an oven to 200 degrees.
- Coarsely grate the zucchini. You should have about 4 cups.
- Toss the zucchini with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a colander and let drain for 20-30 minutes. Then, use a clean kitchen towel to squeeze out all the excess moisture
- Dump the zucchini into a large bowl, then add the eggs, shallot, garlic, herbs, parmesan cheese, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Mix well.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and swirl in about 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Cook the fritters in batches. Take small handfuls of the zucchini mixture and form them into patties about 2 inches in diameter. Drop them gently into the oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, turning once, until golden brown.
- Remove to an oven-proof plate and place in the oven to keep warm while the other batches cook.
- Add more oil to the pan and wait for it to heat before adding the next batch to the pan.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 until all the squash patties are cooked.
Yield: 6-8 side servings
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
I served this as a side dish with pork chops, black-eyed peas, and sliced tomatoes. It was a perfect end of season dinner. The fritters would make a lovely first course as well. I know I’d be happy just eating a pile of these and skipping dinner!